Đăng Nhập

Vui lòng khai báo chính xác tên truy cập và mật khẩu!

Quên mật khẩu?

Đăng Ký

Bạn phải điền đầy đủ thông tin đăng ký!

Bài tập theo chuyên đề Tiếng Anh hay - Tiếng Anh cơ bản -

Bài viết Bài viết : 155

Points Points : 16177

Uy tín   : Uy tín : : 5

Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:19 am

Exercise 2
      1.       Where_____?
                a. the crop is processed                            b. is the crop processed
                c. is processed the crop                            d. processed is the crop
      2.       What did the woman die of? _____ did the woman die?
                a. How                        b. Where                  c. What                       d. When
      3.       On arriving in England; _____ they arrived in England.
                a. on                           b. why                      c. when                      d. where
      4.       How_____? No one knows.
                a. long it will last       b. long will it last     c. it will last                d. it lasts
      5.       _____ did he wave to? his companion.
                a. Who                       b. Whose                 c. Which                    d. What
      6.       _____ is the pool? Seven feet.
                a. How deeply           b. How tall               c. How high               d. What depth
      7.       _____ a year is the Festival held? Only once a year.
                a. How much            b. How many           c. How many times  d. Which times
      8.       But_____ of us can honestly say so?
                a. who                        b. which ones         c. how many             d. what on
      9.       _____ do you prefer, English or French?
                a. What                      b. How                      c. Which                    d. Whichever
      10.     Did you visit her last night?
                a. No, I didn’t             b. No, I haven’t       c. No, I hadn't            d. No, I did
      11.     How_____ people took part in the conference last month.
                a. many                      b. little                       c. few                          d. many of
      12.     _____ were you born?
                a. What month          b. On what month  c. In what month      d. Which month
      13.     _____ is your mother? My mother is a worker.
                a. What                      b. Which                  c. Who                        d. Whose
      14.     _____ is your mother's name?
                a. Which                    b. Whose                 c. What                       d. Who
      15.     _____ girl won the beauty competition?
                a. What                      b. Which                  c. Whom                    d. Who
      16.     Would you like some coffee now?
                a. Yes, I would          b. Yes, please         c. Yes, I like               d. Yes, I'd like
      17.     Would you like to come to a dance?
                a. Yes, I would          b. Yes, please         c. Yes I like                d. Yes, I'd like to
      18.     _____ are you going to the zoo? Tomorrow.
                a. Why                        b. What                    c. When                     d. Who
      19.     _____ down town later today? Yes.
                a. Are you going                                         b. Why are you going 
                c. How are you going                                                                    d. What time are you going
      20.     _____ has Pierre been living her? Since last September.
                a. How much            b. How long             c. How far                  d. How many

1b
      2a
      3c
      4b
      5a
      6d
      7c
      8c
      9c
      10a
      11a
      12c
      13a
      14c
      15b
      16b
      17d
      18c
      19a
      20b

Name:

Class:
      Basis No 23
      adjectives and adverbs
      Mark

Exercise 1
      1.       "I don’t think John looks well".
                "He seems_____".
                a. fairly tired              b. fair tired               c. fair tiredly               d. fairly tiredly
      2.       "Which do you prefer - the blue china or the white china?"
                "The white china is_____".
                a. definite better       b. better definite     c. better definitely     d. definitely better
      3.       "Were you pleased with the translation?"
                "Yes, the job was_____"
                a. amazing satisfactory                             b. amazingly satisfactory
                c. amazing satisfactorily                           d. satisfactory amazing
      4.       "What was you impression of last night's lecture?"
                "_____ speaking, I thought it was rather boring".
                a. Honest                   b. Honestly              c. Very                        d. Really
      5.       "How tall is Ralph?".
                "He's ____ than you are".
                a. slight tall                b. slight taller          c. slightly tall             d. slightly taller
      6.       "How does Amy like her new school?"
                "Fine. And she's doing_____ in her courses"
                a. extreme good        b. extremely well    c. extremely good     d. extreme well
      7.       What a nice fire you have in your fireplace"
                "During the winter I like my house_____".
                a. warmly and comfortable                       b. warm and comfortable
                c. warm and comfortably                           d. warmly and comfortable
      8.       "This perfume is very expensive".
                "Yes, but it smells_____".
                a. exceptional good                                   b. exceptionally good
                c. exceptionally well                                                                      d. exceptional well
      9.       "Your son seems to be an excellent skier"
                "They say he's_____ for his age".
                a. surprisingly competent                         b. surprising competent
                c. competently surprising                         d. surprising competently
      10.     "I had a hard time taking notes on the lecture"
                "I did too. The professor speaks_____".
                a. exceeding fast                                        b. exceedingly fastly
                c. exceedingly fast                                     d. with exceedingly fastness
      11.     "Do you think Margaret will take the job you offered her?"
                "I don’t know. She seemed_____ init, however".
                a interest                    b. interesting           c. interested              d. interestingly
      12.     "The students all went to the circus yesterday".
                "I heard it was really_____".
                a. amused                 b. amusing              c. amuse                    d. amusingly
      13.     "I was_____ that Jan couldn't come to the party".
                "Her boss made her work overtime"
                a. disappointing       b. disappointedly    c. disappoint             d. disappointed
      14.     "What a terrible football game!".
                "I thought it was_____"
                a. delightful               b. delighting            c. delight                    d. delighted
      15.     "How_____ we are to hear that you got the scholarship.
                "Thank you. It was really a surprise".
                a. pleasing                b. pleased                c. pleasingly              d. please
      16.     "Professors Allen's class is the best I have ever been to".
                "I think it's_____".
                a. the most boring    b. the most boringly                                   c. the most bored          d. most bored
      17.     "I can’t believe that Jim is marrying the vice-president's daughter".
                "That they would get married is_____".
                a. surprised               b. surprising            c. surprisingly           d. surprise
      18.     "This handmade cloth is beautiful"
                "To see such quality is_____"
                a. pleasing                b. please                  c pleased                   d. so pleasanty
      19.     "How does Jan like her new car?"
                "She's _____ with it".
                a. delighted               b. delighting            c. delight                    d. delightful
      20.     "You look nervous"
                "This thunder makes me_____"
                a. scary                      b. scare                    c. scaring                   d. scared

1a
      2d
      3b
      4b
      5d
      6b
      7b
      8b
      9a
      10c
      11c
      12b
      13d
      14a
      15b
      16a
      17c
      18a
      19a
      20d

Name:

Class:
      Basis No 24
      emphatic forms
      Mark

1.       The teacher affirmed that these students _____ the exam.
                a. have passed         b. did pass               c. pass                        d. passing
      2.       The despair_____ him in a very short time.
                a. is weakened         b. weakening          c. did weaken           d. weaken
      3.       _____ in a mosquito-net.
                a. Sleep                     b. Do sleep              c. Sleeping                d. To sleep
      4.       Smoking_____ the health of the smokers.
                a. damaging              b. damage               d. did damage           d. does damage
      5.       The president_____ will investigate the case tomorrow.
                a. himself                   b. itself                     c. oneself                   d. by himself
      6.       She_____ here yesterday. I am sure of that.
                a. does come            b. came                    c. did come                d. would come
      7.       These school children_____ what they had to do.
                a. knew                      b. do know               c. did know                d. knows
      8.       Never_____ that poem
                a. do I have read      b. I read                    c. have I read            d. I have read
      9.       No sooner_____ than be begins to cry.
                a. was a human being born                     b. has a human being born
                c. is a human being born                         d. a human being was born
      10.     Seldom_____ allowed to do that.
                a. I am                        b. am I                      c. I have been           d. I can be
      11.     After each chapter in this book_____ found the pages where reference material material may be included.
                a. are                          b. is                           c. has                         d. have
      12.     The new school principal_____ my uncle's name. The emphatic sentence is_____
                a. knew                      b. do know               c. does know             d. knows
      13.     Never before _____ such a demonstration
                a. they witness                                           b. they have witnessed
                c. had they witnessed                                                                   d. they had witnessed
      14.     Only by in haling ether himself_____ its effect on human being.
                a. he could ascertain                                 b. he did ascertain   c. he ascertained         d. could he ascertain
      15.     The fairy_____ a jade bowl into the sea.
                a. does drop              b. do drop                c. drop                        d. did drop
      16.     The long ridge of cliffs_____ a dragon's crest.
                a. does resemble      b. do resemble        c. resemble                d. is resemble
      17.     _____ us draw in that net, please.
                a. Does help             b. Do helps              c. Do help                  d. Did helped
      18.     It_____ only when the game was over that he felt "a little frost bite"
                a. is                             b. was                       c. be                            d. being
      19.     It is in this room_____ we usually hold our meetings.
                a. that                         b. which                   c. where                     d. when
      20.     Wasn't it her family_____ emigrated to Australia?
                a. whom                     b. who                      c. who                        d. which

1b
      2c
      3b
      4d
      5a
      6c
      7c
      8c
      9c
      10b
      11a
      12c
      13c
      14d
      15d
      16a
      17c
      18b
      19a
      20b

Name:

Class:
      Basis No 25
      subject and verb agreement
      Mark

Exercise 1
      1.       Tom with dog_____ here now.
                a. is                             b. are                        c. was                         d. were
      2.       Tom as well as his dog_____ here now.
                a. is                             b. are                        c. was                         d. were
      3.       My old friends and colleague, John, _____ married.
                a. has just got           b. have just got       c. just has got            d. just have got
      4.       The singer and actor_____ coming now.
                a. was                         b. were                     c. is                             d. are
      5.       The singer and the actor_____ coming now.
                a. was                         b. were                     c. is                             d. are
      6.       Mathematics_____ difficult.
                a. is                             b. are                        c. is                             d. are
      7.       Two billion dollars_____ not enough for the victims of the tsunami
      8.       Three years in a strange land _____ like a long time for lonely people.
                a. is seeming            b. are seeing           c. seems                    d. seemed
      9.       The film "Titanic"_____ very interesting.
      10.     Cattle______ allowed graze here now.
      11.     None of this money______ right now.
      12.     None of them______ right now.
      13.     Every student ______ willing to join the picnic now.
      14.     The number of students______ in creasing now.
                a. are                          b. was                       c. were                       d. is
      15.     A number of students ______ playing table - tennis now.
                a. are                          b. was                       c. were                       d. is
      16.     Physics______ my favourite subject.
                a. are                          b. is                           c. was                         d. have been
      17.     They boy, with his two companions, ______ the cherry tree now.
                a. has split                 b. have split             c. is slitting                d. are splitting
      18.     The write and poet______ going to preside over this meeting
                a. are                          b. is                           c. have been going  d. is to
      19.     Neither the mother nor the children______ aware of the danger.
                a. were                       b. was                       c. is                             d. has been
      20.     She told me that she ______ happy for what he______
                a. is feeling/ did                                          b. was feeling/ had done
                c. feels/ did                                                  d. has felt/ has been going

1a
      2a
      3a
      4c
      5d
      6a
      7c
      8c
      9a
      10d
      11a
      12b
      13a
      14d
      15a
      16b
      17c
      18b
      19a
      20b

Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:20 am

Exercise 2
      1.       If anyone______, tell him I'll be back later.
                a. was calling            b. called                   c. call                          d. calls
      2.       Each of the boys______ a book now.
                a. have                       b. has                       c. had                         d. are having
      3.       Two-thirds of the money______ mine now.
      4.       About 60% of students in this class ______ from China.
                a. was                         b. were                     c. are                          d. is
      5.       A number of sheep______ eating grass now.
                a. are                          b.  is                          c. was                         d. were
      6.       The number of books in this library______ large.
                a. are                          b. is                           c. was                         d. were
      7.       Either you or I ______ wrong.
                a. am                          b. is                           c. are                          d. were
      8.       Neither my gloves nor my hat______ with this dress.
                a. is going                  b. are going             c. goes                       d. go
      9.       The poor living her______ help.
                a. is needing             b. are needing        c. need                       d. needs
      10.     Several of the students ______ absent yesterday.
                a. has been               b. had been             c. were                       d. was
      11.     The professor said that Vietnam ______ to South-East Asia.
                a. has belonged       b. has belonged     c. belonged               d. belongs
      12.     He______ he had read that story - book before.
                a. told                         b. has told                c. had told                  d. said
      13.     His choice of words______ very good.
                a. are                          b. be                         c. is                             d. being
      14.     Anybody who______ my keys will be given a candy.
                a. find                         b. finds                     c. are finding             d. found
      15.     The Browns ______ here since 1950.
                a. are living               b. have lived           c. have been living  d. has been living
      16.     John, as well as I, ______ a student.
                a. are                          b. were                     c. as                            d. has been
      17.     Not only John but his brothers ______ also in debt.
                a. is                             b. have                     c. was                         d. were
      18.     The majority of the TOEFL tests ______ difficult.
                a. are                          b. is                           c. be                            d. being
      19.     Local news ______ on TV every night at 5:30
                a. were                       b. was                       c. is                             d. are
      20.     A number of sheep______ died from a strange illness.
                a. have                       b. has                       c. is                             d. are

1b
      2d
      3a
      4a
      5b
      6d
      7b
      8b
      9c
      10a
      11b
      12d
      13c
      14b
      15c
      16c
      17d
      18a
      19c
      20a

Exercise 3
      1.       The science classes at this ______ difficult.
                a. schools are           b. school is              c. school are             d. school's is
      2.       One of the ______ from Italy.
                a. student is              b. students are        c. student are            d. student is
      3.       ______ to support the case against James?
                a. Is there any proof                                   b. Are there any proof
                c. Is there any proofs                                                                     d. Are there any proofs
      4.       You have to pay extra if you take too______ with you.
                a. much luggages    b. many luggages  c. much luggage      d. may luggage
      5.       ______ in your lass have tickets for the lecture series?
                a. Do any of the student                           b. Does any of the student
                c. Do any of the students                         d. Does any of the students
      6.       Bob got fired. It's going to be difficult for him to find job.
                a. other                       b. another                c. the other                d. the another
      7.       There______ available in his area of specialization.
                a. isn’t  a lot of job    b. aren't a lot of jobs                                   c. isn't a lot of jobs        d. aren't a lot of job
      8.       He made the soup by mixing______ meat with some rice.
                a. little                         b. few                       c. a little                      d. a few
      9.       Many of the ______ not expect to win.
                a. participants in the race do                    b. participants in the races does
                c. participants in the race does                d. participant in the race does
      10.     The English______ strong traditions.
                a. has many              b. have much          c. have many            d. has much
      11.     ______ moved to that city recently.
                a. A number of Vietnamese have           b. A number of Vietnamese has
                c. The number of Vietnamese has         b. The number of Vietnamese have
      12.     Each of the reference _____ available in the school library.
                a. books on that list is                                                                    b. books on that list are
                c. books on that list is                                                                    d. book on that list are
      13.     Several____ sleeping under a tree.
                a. of lions were         b. lion was               c. of the lions was    d. lions were
      14.     Many of the ____ not used to day. They are remnants of the past.
                a. railroad tracks around here are           b. railroad's tracks around here is
                c. railroad tracks around here is              d. railroad's tracks around here are
      15.     As we walked through the jungle, the ____ unusually quiet.
                a. monkeys were      b. monkeys was     c. monkies were       d. monkies was
      16.     At the news conference, several reporters  didn't get clear answer to _____ questions.
                a. theirs                      b. their                      c. his and hers          d. his and her
      17.     I have a _____ sister.
                a. seven years old    b. seven years old  c. seven year old      d. seven year olds
      18.     There_____ in the world today.
                a. is any new computer company           b. is many new computer companies
                c. are many new computer companies  d. are many new computer companies
      19.     Self-esteem is important. It's important for people to like _____
                a. oneself                  b. yourself               c. him/herself            d. themselves
      20.     What_____ you used in picking a winner in the art contest?
                a. is the criteria         b. are the criteria    c. are the criterion    d. are the riterions

1c
      2d
      3b
      4a
      5b
      6c
      7a
      8b
      9a
      10b
      11b
      12a
      13a
      14c
      15c
      16a
      17b
      18d
      19d
      20b

Exercise 4
      1.       Mathematics_____ very interesting to me.
                a. are                          b. have been           c. were                       d. is
      2.       Down_____ for three days
                a. the rain poured    b. did the rain pour c. poured the rain     d. do the rain pour
      3.       Twenty dollars_____ the price.
                a. are                          b. is                           c. being                      d. were
      4.       A number of graduates_____ scholarships from this department.
                a. have received       b. has received       c. are received          d. receives
      5.       Pollution together with water erosion_____ its toll on the building.
                a. are taking              b. is taking               c. have taking           d. have taken
      6.       Most of the rooms in the hotel _____ air-conditioning.
                a. has                         b. having                 c. have                       d. are
      7.       A few_____ the test.
                a. have failed            b. has failed            c. is failing                 d. failing
      8.       Under the tree_____ full of food.
                a. a basket was         b. was a basket       c. are a basket          d. were a basket
      9.       Both viruses and genes_____ made from nucleoproteins.
                a. are                          b. is                           c. were                       d. has been
      10.     Coffee contains caffeine, and so_____
                a. tea did                    b. does tea               c. it does                    d. tea does
      11.     Mary, accompanied by her brother on the piano, _____ very well received at the talent show yesterday.
                a. was                         b. were                     c. have been             d. has been
      12.     The smallest flying dinosaurs _____ about the size of a robin.
                a. was                         b. are                        c. have                       d. been
      13.     My new pair of pants _____ at the cleaners.
                a. is                             b. are                        c. be                            d. have been
      14.     Out_____ the bird from its tiny cage.
                a. did the bird fly       b. fly the bird           c. did the bird fly       d. flew the bird
      15.     The police_____ on the alert for the escaped convict.
                a. are                          b. be                         c. can                         d. been
      16.     I'm happy that everything_____ in its place.
                a. are                          b. been                     c. is                             d. have
      17.     One of my best friends_____ five credit cards.
                a. have                       b. has                       c. does                       d. do
      18.     _____ an emergency arise, call 911.
                a. Can                        b. Does                    c. Should                   d. Will
      19.     There_____ never been an environmental disaster of this magnitude.
                a. has                         b. have                     c. are                          d. is
      20.     The news_____ quite alarming.
                a. are                          b. have                     c. was                         d. were

1d
      2c
      3b
      4a
      5b
      6c
      7a
      8b
      9a
      10b
      11a
      12b
      13a
      14d
      15a
      16c
      17b
      18c
      19a
      20c

Exercise 5
      1.       Every_____ enjoyed the lesson.
                a. students                b. student's              c. student                   d. of students
      2.       We are looking for _____ information about apartments for rent.
                a. f                              b. an                         c. a                              d. a few
      3.       Mathematics courses _____ generally required in American high schools.
                a. is                             b. was                       c. were                       d. are
      4.       Usually_____ begin to take a interest in reading around the age of five.
                a. child                       b. the child              c. a child                    d. children
      5.       Statistics_____ a difficult course for people to understand.
                a. is                             b. are                        c. were                       d. being
      6.       Not even one of the hundred students _____ passed the test.
                a. have                       b. has                       c. to have                   d. having
      7.       The number of women_____ increased.
                a. has                         b. have                     c. having                    d. to have
      8.       My daughter's instructor_____ very competent.
                a. seem                      b. to seem                c. seeming                 d. seems
      9.       People_____ worried about the high rate of unemployment.
                a. be                           b. is                           c. are                          d. being
      10.     The team_____ going back to their homes.
                a. is                             b. do                         c. has                         d. are
      11.     Every man a woman_____ the right to vote.
                a. have                       b. has                       c. are                          d. is
      12.     The children's bed room_____ upstairs on the second floor.
                a. is                             b. are                        c. there are                d. it is
      13.     "Why did they close the center of the city to automobiles?"
                "Because the number of contaminants in the air_____".
                a. was increasing     b. will increasing    c. were in an increase d. were in creasing
      14.     "The cupboards are really empty".
                "Yes, all the food_____ eaten".
                a. have been             b. is been                 c. has been               d. been
      15.     The forest trails_____ any signs for campers.
                a. doesn't have         b. aren’t                    c. don't have             d. have
      16.     "Why did you change your major from economics to law?:
                "Because economics_____ as interesting to me as law".
                a. isn't                         b. doesn't                 c. are                          d. aren't
      17.     A special license is needed to drive trucks and_____
                a. bus                         b. buses                   c. a bus                      d. the buses
      18.     "How much money did you spend?"
                "As much as there_____".
                a. were                       b. has                       c. was                         d. have
      19.     "Did you hear about the fire down the street?"
                "There_____ a lot of news about it on TV last night".
                a. was                         b. had                       c. is                             d. were
      20.     "Why are you buying all that food?"
                a. are coming            b. coming                 c. comes                    d. is coming

1c
      2a
      3d
      4d
      5a
      6b
      7a
      8d
      9c
      10d
      11b
      12a
      13a
      14c
      15c
      16a
      17b

Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:21 am

Name:

Class:
      Basis No 26
      modal verbs
      Mark

Exercise 1
      1.       When my father was young, he _____ work in the garden for long hours.
                a. can                         b. could                    c. will                          d. should
      2.       He_____ have committed the crime because he was with me that day.
                a. mustn't                   b. shouldn't             c. won't                       d. couldn't
      3.       Since we have to be there by 8.30, we_____ take a taxi.
                a. had better              b. may                      c. ought                      d. are able to
      4.       It_____ rain this evening. Why don't you take an umbrella?
                a. could be                b. must                     c. might                      d. had better
      5.       _____ you help me with the homework?
                a. May                        b. Shall                    c. Should                   d. Will
      6.       She hasn't eaten anything since yesterday. She_____ be really hungry.
                a. might                      b. will                        c. must                       d. can
      7.       I put my keys on the table, but now it's gone. Someone_____ have taken it.
                a. may                        b. had to                   c. should                    d. would rather
      8.       Daisy is reading her English test because she has a test tomorrow. She_____ be studying.
                a. will                          b. should                 c. must                       d. can
      9.       We _____ put the fish in the fridge before it spoils.
                a. had to                     b. may                      c. can                         d. had better
      10.     Mr. Brown is very rich. He_____ work hard for a living.
                a. mustn't                   b. shouldn't             c. can't                        d. doesn't have to
      11.     Tom has just got a new job. He_____ be very pleased.
                a. might                      b. must                     c. should                    d. will
      12.     Tom panted his room black. It looks dark and dreary. He _____ have chosen another colour.
                a. should                   b. must                     c. could                      d. may
      13.     _____ you carry this bag for me?
                a. May                        b. Should                 c. Will                         d. Shall
      14.     You _____ throw litter on the streets.
                a. mustn't                   b. couldn't                d. needn't                  d. won't
      15.     My mother permitted me to go out at night. She said, "You_____ go out tonight".
                a. may                        b. have to                 c. must                       d. ought to
      16.     It is possible that she will come to our party tonight. She come her tonight.
                a. need                       b. may                      c. should                    d. will
      17.     They can type. They_____ type.
                a. lean how to           b. are able to           c. know how to         d. both B &C
      18.     He advised me to take an English course. I_____ take it early.
                a. should                   b. shall                     c. will                          d. may
      19.     I'd rather_____ in the field than_____ home.
                a. to work/ to stay      b. work /stay            c. working/ staying   d. worked/stayed
      20.     As an orphan, he _____ earn his living alone.
                a. have to                   c. has had to           c. ought to                 d. had to

1b
      2d
      3a
      4c
      5d
      6c
      7a
      8c
      9d
      10d
      11b
      12a
      13c
      14a
      15a
      16b
      17d
      18a
      19b
      20d

Exercise 2
      1.       They prayed that their daughter_____ be lucky again.
                a. may                        b. will                        c. could                      d. might
      2.       He _____ all that money, so she could save some.
                a. didn't need to spend                                                                 b. needn't have spent
                c. shouldn't spend                                     d. oughtn't to spend
      3.       He spent all that money last week. He_____ so much.
                a. didn't need to spend                                                                 b. shouldn't spend
                c. needn't have spent                                                                    d. didn't have to spend
      4.       He had to work hard so that he _____ his family.
                a. may support          b. supported            c. can support           d. might support
      5.       They have plenty of time, so they need not_____
                a. be hurry                 b. to hurry                c. hurry                       d. to be hurry
      6.       You're having a sore throat. You'd better_____ to the doctor.
                a. to go                       b. went                     c. go                            d. going
      7.       I would rather_____ poor but happy than become rich without happiness.
                a. being                      b. he                         c. to be                       d. was
      8.       Sit down please _____ a cup of tea?
                a. Do you like                                              b. Do you like to drink
                c. Would you like                                       d. Will you like
      9.       Must you come when your neighbout calls?
                No, I_____                  
                a. must not                b. mustn't                 c. don't have to         d. must not come
      10.     May I have 2 tickets, please? two tickets, please?
                a. You must given me                                                                   b. You have got to give me
                c. Could I have                                           d. You may give me
      11.     He will have to stay in hospital. That's what he_____
                a. has done               b. must do                c. must be doing       d. must have done
      12.     Do you have to buy this hat? No, I _____. It isn't necessary.
                a. mustn't                   b. won't                    c. needn't                   d. don't need
      13.     A man never have too many ties. It's ______
                a. unable                   b. impossible           c. improbable            d. incapable
      14.     It could not tell the difference between Indian music and jazz.
                a. might not               b. may not                c. mustn't                   d. wasn't able to
      15.     This plane could get over the mountain if it rose to 10,000 feet. This means it______ over the mountains.
                a. would succeed in getting  b. got         c. was bale to get     d. had got
      16.     The plane was then able to rise. This means it______
                a. could rise              b. might rise            c. might succeed in rising      d. rose
      17.     Byrd knew that he would be able to reach the South Pole. It would be______.
                a. impossible             b. necessary           c. able                        d. possible
      18.     He ought not______ him but she did.
                a. to tell                      b. to telling               c. tell                           d. to have told
      19.     I’d rather you______ that.
                a. do                           b. don't do                c. won't do                 d. didn't do
      20.     ______ run so fast?
                a. Does he need      b. Need he to          c. Need he                 d. Needs he

1d
      2a
      3c
      4d
      5c
      6c
      7b
      8c
      9c
      10c
      11c
      12c
      13b
      14d
      15c
      16a
      17d
      18d
      19d
      20c

Exercise 3
      1.       He didn't need______ out of his room in Moscow.
                a. go                           b. to going               c. going                      d. to go
      2.       I could not ______ it even though I had wanted to do so.
                a. had bought           b. buy                       c. buying                    d. have bought
      3.       I left my pen in this box, but it isn’t there now. Someone______ it.
                a. must have taken  b. must take             c. had to take            d. had taken
      4.       Mary received 100 dollars from her sister. She______ the ring she wanted. It only costs 10 dollars.
                a. buys                       b. had bought         c. bought                   d. might have bought
      5.       It lost my Honda last week; I hadn't locked it. You______ it.
                a. should lock           b. should have locked     c. ought to lock   d. could lock
      6.       In 1900 the world had no deaths from rabies. Scientists______ wonderful vaccine.
                a. has discovered     b. discovered  c. must have discovered     d. should have discovered
      7.       Mary received 100 dollars from her sister. She______ the computer she wanted. It costs 200 dollars.
                a. wouldn't buy         b. hadn't bought     c. couldn't have bought          d. didn't buy
      8.       Once Helen failed in her exam. She played too much. She______ too much.
                a. shouldn't have played                          b. should play          
                c. shouldn't play                                         d. wouldn't have played
      9.       If I had liked that watch, may be I ______ bought it.
                a. will have                b.  must have          c. would have           d. shall have
      10.     Did my sister tell you that I had been to Dalat?
                a. might have            b. could have          c. would have           d. must have
      11.     The women of this tribe______ precious ornaments for slat because they didn’t have any salt.
                a. have traded           b. traded                   c. would have traded   d. could trade
      12.     I took my only son to the park but he didn't like it. You ______ him to the zoo.
                a. should take           b. had to take          c. took                         d. should have taken
      13.     We are now wet. You______ the raincoats with you.
                a. should bring         b. should have brought                            c. must bring     d. have to bring
      14.     The yard is wet. It______ last night.
                a. must rain               b. must have rain   c. must have rained d. had to rain
      15.     Many birds will______ more than 3,000 miles to reach their winter homes.
                a. flying                      b. fly                          c. be fly                      d. flew
      16.     The pen won't write; it______ out of ink.
                a. must run                b. must be running                                    c. must have run          d. must have ran
      17.     The line is busy; someone______ the telephone now.
                a. must be using      b. must have used c. must used       d. must have been using
      18.     Bob is absent; he______ sick gain now.
                a. must have been   b. must be                c. must be being       d. must being
      19.     He______ his j ob because he seems very happy.
                a. would like              b. can like                c. will like                   d. must like
      20.     She told me that she'd rather______ on the committee.
                a. not to serve           b. not serving          c. not serve                d. serving not

1d
      2d
      3a
      4d
      5b
      6c
      7c
      8a
      9c
      10b
      11c
      12d
      13b
      14c
      15b
      16c
      17a
      18b
      19d
      20c

Name:

Class:
      Basis No 27
      phrasal verbs
      Mark

Exercise 1
      1.       He drives so quickly that I am afraid that one day he will_______ someone crossing the street.
                a. crash down           b. knock down        c. turn over                d. run across
      2.       Hello. Is that 956782? Please put me_______ the manager.
                a. across                    b. up                         c. over                        d. through
      3.       The three friends all_______ for the same job.
                a. requested              b. intended              c. applied                   d. referred
      4.       I don’t think he will ever get_______ the shock of his father's death.
                a. over                        b. through                c. by                            d. off
      5.       The company is aiming to push_______ its share of car sales to 25% over the next two years.
                a. on                           b. up                         c. out                          d. though
      6.       The child hurt himself badly when he fell _______ the bedroom window.
                a. out from                 b. out of                    c. down                      d. over
      7.       Don’t worry about trying to catch the last train home, as we can easily_______ you up for the night.
                a. take                        b. set                         c. put                          d. keep
      8.       I am late because my alarm clock didn't _______ this morning.
                a. come on                b. ring out                c. go off                      d. turn on
      9.       He's such a naughty child' it's amazing what his mother lets him_______ away with.
                a. go                           b. make                    c. do                            d. get
      10.     The factory paid_______ nearly a million pounds to their employees injured in the explosion.
                a. out                          b. in                          c. off                           d. back
      11.     My daughter often_______ to see me at lest once a week.
                a. calls up                  b. drops in               c. goes up                  d. comes on
      12.     I think he is unwell; he was complaining_______ a headache this morning.
                a. of                            b. at                           c. from                        d. against
      13.     I saw a thief take Tom's  wallet so I ran _______ him, but I couldn't catch him.
                a. into                         b. over                      c. near                        d. after
      14.     If it's raining tomorrow, we shall have top put_______ the match till Sunday.
                a. off                           b. away                    c. in                             d. on
      15.     There was a big hole is the rod which _______ the traffic.
                a. kept down             b. held up                c. stood back             d. sent back
      16.     She applied for training as a pilot, but they turned her _______ because of her poor eyesight.
                a. up                           b. back                     c. down                      d. over
      17.     These old houses are going to be _______ soon.
                a. laid out                   b. run down             c. knocked out          d. pulled down
      18.     I can'_______ what he's doing, it’s so dark down there.
                a. see through          b. make out             c. look into                 d. show up
      19.     Having looked the place _______, the gang went away to make their plans.
                a. over                        b. through                c. down                      d. out
      20.     Take the number 7 bus and get_______ at Forest Road.
                a. up                           b. down                    c. off                           d. outside

1b
      2d
      3c
      4a
      5b
      6b
      7c
      8c
      9d
      10a
      11b
      12a
      13d
      14a
      15b
      16c
      17d
      18b
      19a
      20c

Exercise 2
      1.       If you want to join this club, you must_______ this application form.
                a. make up                b. write down          c. do up                      d. fill in
      2.       The water company will have to _______ off water supplies while repairs to the pipes are carried out.
                a. take                        b. cut                        c. set                           d. break
      3.       Come_______, children! Get your coats on or you'll be late for school.
                a. along                      b. to                           c. across                    d. over
      4.       She tried to prevent the dog_______ running into the road.
                a. to                             b. for                         c. from                        d. against
      5.       The doctor told him to keep_______ sweets and chocolate to lose weight.
                a. at                             b. up                         c. back                        d. off
      6.       Tom was slow to catch_______, but gradually he began to understand.
                a. in                            b. on                         c. away                       d. out
      7.       I haven’t time to speak to him now, you'll have to put him_______
                a. off                           c. back                      c. aside                      d. away
      8.       You know I'll always stand_______ you if you are in trouble.
                a. for                           b. up                         c. by                            d. with
      9.       I disapprove_______ people smoking in public places.
                a. on                           b. at                           c. with                         d. of
      10.     She found it is hard to _______ up to the fact that she would never be famous.
                a. come                      b. face                      c. get                           d. keep
      11.     For the first few minutes she was leading the race, then she began to fall_______
                a. out                          b. through                c. back                        d. off
      12.     The job offer was too good for him to turn_______
                a. down                      b. out                        c. off                           d. away
      13.     His son's death was a terrible shock and it took him a long time to _______ it.
                a. get round               b. come through     c. go over                   d. get over
      14.     Please come_______ and see us some time-you're always welcome.
                a. to                             b. round                   c. about                      d. away
      15.     She put _______ speaking to him as long as possible.
                a. over                        b. away                    c. off                           d. back
      16.     He filled in the necessary forms and _______ for the job.
                a. appealed               b. asked                   c. requested              d. applied
      17.     She went _______ a bad cold just before Christmas.
                a. down with             b. in for                     c. over                        d. through
      18.     They had never come_______ such a beautiful little village before.
                a. at                             b. across                  c. off                           d. long
      19.     When the tenants failed to pay their bills, the authorities decided to cut_______ the gas supply to the flats.
                a. out                          b. down                    c. off                           d. across
      20.     The doctor advised me not to take_______ so much work in future.
                a. to                             b. over                      c. after                        d. on

1d
      2b
      3a
      4c
      5d
      6b
      7a
      8c
      9a
      10b
      11c
      12a
      13d
      14b
      15c
      16d
      17a
      18b
      19c
      20d

Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:22 am

Exercise 3
      1.       The police have warned tourists to look_______ for  pickpockets in the town centre.
                a. out                          b. up                         c. down                      d. forward
      2.       I wouldn't_______ of going to a party unless I hadn't been invited to.
                a. intend                    b. dream                   c. rely                          d. depend
      3.       If you want to be healthy; you should cut_______ on your smoking.
                a. up                           b. down                    c. out                          d. through
      4.       Their aim is to_______ up a new political party.
                a. strike                      b. stand                    c. set                           d. show
      5.       He was busy when I phoned but I hung_______ until he was free.
                a. back                       b. off                         c. to                             d. on
      6.       I'm not sure how old he is but he must be _______ for 70.
                a. going by                b. getting up            c. getting on              d. going off
      7.       I absolutely_______ with everything that has been said.
                a. agree                      b. accept                  c. admit                      d. approve
      8.       The man who lives opposite us sometimes comes _______ for a cup for coffee.
                a. on                           b. over                      c. off                           d. to
      9.       The butcher cut some steak, _______ it up and handed it to me.
                a. closed                    b. wound                 c. strung                     d. wrapped
      10.     In order to _______ with his studies he worked though the summer.
                a. take                        b. catch on              c. catch up                 d. take up
      11.     A god friend will stand _______ you when you're having trouble.
                a. by                            b. out                        c. against                   d. in
      12.     The meeting had to be put_______ until a later date.
                a. away                      b. on                         c. off                           d. up
      13.     The teachers at the school went_______ with flu one after the other.
                a. out                          b. down                    c. off                           d. under
      14.     The smell was so bad that it completely_______ us off our food.
                a. set                           b. took                      c. got                           d. put
      15.     We expected him at eight but the finally_______ at midnight.
                a. came to                  b. turned out           c. turned in                d. came off
      16.     The hall was very crowded with over fifty people_______ into it.
                a. pushed                  b. packed                 c. stuck                       d. stuffed
      17.     He took the trouble to write_______ the complete list for us.
                a. on                           b. through                c. off                           d. our
      18.     He had to go to the bank to_______ some money for his holiday.
                a. pay up                    b. pay back              c. draw out                 d. draw in
      19.     A new study group has been _______ by the United Nations
                a. set up                     b. set on                   c. put up                     d. put on
      20.     David always_______ over to my house after he had done his homework.
                a. passed                   b. gone                     c. went                       d. came

1a
      2b
      3b
      4c
      5d
      6c
      7a
      8b
      9d
      10c
      11a
      12c
      13b
      14d
      15b
      16b
      17d
      18c
      19a
      20d

Exercise 4
      1.       If you want to have a pet you must be ready to look _______ it for several years.
                a. at                             b. for                         c. after                        d. over
      2.       I can put_______ with most things but I cannot stand noisy children
                a. on                           b. up                         c. off                           d. aside
      3.       Don't _______ up yet, you will soon be able to play the trumpet well.
                a. give                        b. catch                    c. break                      d. turn
      4.       Some drivers seem to expect everyone else to get_______ their way.
                a. off                           b. after                      c. away from              d. out of
      5.       My uncle took_______ golf when he retired from work.
                a. on                           b. after                      c. up                           d. over
      6.       The deer_______ for the shelter of the forest when there are people about.
                a. get                          b. make                    c. go                            d. take
      7.       I'll call_______ you at 6 o'clock.
                a. for                           b. by                          c. up                           d. in
      8.       Everyone in the village_______ about the plans for the new road.
                a. contacted              b. took care              c. concerned             d. was concerned
      9.       Mrs. Brown always_______ out in a crowd because she wore large hats.
                a. found                     b. looked                  c. stood                      d. showed
      10.     After his mother died, he was_______ up by his grandmother.
                a. grown                     b. brought                c. taken                      d. drawn
      11.     All the plans have been put_______ for the time being.
                a. aside                      b. down                    c. on                           d. up
      12.     He said he would contribute money, but later he backed_______ of it.
                a. down                      b. away                    c. off                           d. out
      13.     All their money is _______ up in the new house which they have bought.
                a. connected             b. limited                  c. tied                          d. trapped
      14.     The audience_______ out laughing when the singer fell over.
                a. called                     b. burst                     c. shouted                 d. broke
      15.     The general was always _______ about his past campaigns.
                a. boasting                b. praising               c. complimenting      d. congratulating
      16.     If we want to_______ up with them we'd better hurry.
                a. come                      b. arrive                    c. approach               d. catch
      17.     Unfortunately the company will have to cut_______ on staff.
                a. away                      b. back                     c. off                           d. through
      18.     Their enthusiasm for the new plan has_______ out.
                a. gone                       b. failed                    c. died                        d. disappeared
      19.     I don’t see what my business has to _______ with you.
                a. do                           b. interest                 c. concern                 d. matter
      20.     The taxi_______ up by the kerb.
                a. drew                       b. stopped                c. came                      d. turned

1c
      2b
      3a
      4d
      5c
      6b
      7a
      8d
      9c
      10b
      11a
      12d
      13c
      14b
      15a
      16d
      17b
      18c
      19a
      20a

Exercise 5
      1.       The doctor says I'll take a long time to get _______ the shock.
                a. past                        b. above                   c. through                  d. over
      2.       Once the fire _______ out we have to sit in the cold.
                a. lit                             b. fell                        c. went                       d. came
      3.       Do you think it's possible to_______ on nothing but fruit and vegetables?
                a. eat                          b. live                        c. enjoy                      d. make
      4.       The bus only stops here to _________ passengers.
                a. alight                      b. get on                   c. get off                     d. pick up
      5.       The child was  _________ by a lorry on the safety crossing in the main street.
                a. knocked down      b. knocked out        c. run across             d. run out
      6.       Hurry! It's time to  _________ up and go to school.
                a. stand                      b. get                        c. dress                      d. start
      7.       Mary is very _________ up and thinks she is superior to her classmates.
                a. turned                    b. looked                  c. stuck                       d. fed
      8.       The frightened horse began to _________ away from the snake.
                a. fear                         b. tip                          c. throw                      d. shy
      9.       All his plans for starting his business fell _________
                a. in                            b. through                c. down                      d. away
      10.     Tom and Ben have fallen _________ gain and do not speak to each other.
                a. in                            b. back                     c. out                          d. through
      11.     The voters told john that he could  _________ on their support in the election.
                a. count                      b. doubt                    c. decide                    d. expect
      12.     The completion of the tunnel has been held _________ owing to s strike.
                a. on                           b. off                         c. over                        d. up
      13.     Their teacher told them to  _________ up their quarrel and be friends again.
                a. stitch                      b. mend                    c. sew                         d. patch
      14.     He wanted to  _________ off all his work before he came to the cinema with us.
                a. finish                      b. stop                      c. end                         d. put
      15.     I remember Alice as a spotty girl but she's turned _________ a beautiful woman.
                a. to                             b. in                          c. into                         d. on
      16.     Stephen always wanted to be an actor when he  _________ up.
                a. came                      b. grew                     c. brought                  d. settled
      17.     They've  _________ a new tower where that old building used to be.
                a. put up                    b. put down             c. pushed up             d. pushed down
      18.     It's high time Bill got a steady job and  _________ He's almost thirty.
                a. settled in                b. settled down       c. turned in                d. turned down
      19.     The plane _________ down the minutes late because of bad weather.
                a. put                          b. flew                      c. landed                    d. touched
      20.     He kept his marriage a secret for years, but eventually the truth _________
                a. went in                   b. went off               c. came out                d. came through

1d
      2c
      3a
      4d
      5a
      6b
      7c
      8d
      9b
      10c
      11a
      12d
      13d
      14a
      15c
      16b
      17a
      18b
      19d
      20c

Exercise 6
      1.       We're having terrible weather. Just can't put _________ it for much longer.
                a. up                           b. on                         b. away                      c. up with
      2.       Over the past 50 years, many illnesses have been brought _________ control.
                a. in                            b. under                   c. to                             d. over
      3.       When I break _________ for the summer, I 'm going to Spain for three weeks.
                a. up                           b. in                          c. out                          d. down
      4.       Can you remember  the first time you  _________ in love?
                a. felt                          b. went                     c. fell                           d. found
      5.       She's gradually getting _________ a bad cold, which kept her off work for a week.
                a. over                        b. up                         c. on                           d. into
      6.       It's very cold in here. Do you mind if I put _________ the heating?
                a. down                      b. away                    c. off                           d. on
      7.       I told him I'd prefer to walk, but he insisted _________ giving me a lift
                a. about                      b. on                         c. to                             d. for
      8.       There's a rumor that the National Bank is going to take  _________ the company I work for.
                a. on                           b. off                         c. over                        d. after
      9.       There's a lot more traffic than usual. There must be something _________ in the city centre.
                a. going on                b. going off              c. getting on              d. getting off
      10.     He wan't sure if he'd be any good at tennis, but actually he took  _________ it immediately.
                a. after                        b. on                         c. in                             d. to
      11.     I've always got _________ well with old people.
                a. off                           b. on                         c. in                             d. through
      12.     When they  _________ for the beach the sun was shining, but by the time they arrived it had clouded over.
                a. went out                b. went off               c. set off                     d. left out
      13.     After standing in the sun for more than an hour, two of the people in the queue passed _________
                a. out                          b. by                          c. up                           d. through
      14.     When the alarm clock went off, Tom just turned  _________ and went back to sleep.
                a. down                      b. out                        c. up                           d. over
      15.     I'd love to get  _________ from this place for a few days. I really feel I need a break.
                a. out                          b. away                    c. over                        d. down
      16.     The smell of floor polish still brings  _________ memories of my old school.
                a. on                           b. up                         c. back                        d. over
      17.     In their latest attack, terrorists have tempted to blow _________ the bridge.
                a. up                           b. over                      c. through                  d. down
      18.     I've just spent two weeks looking  _________ an old aunt of mine who's been ill.
                a. at                             b. for                         c. out for                     d. after
      19.     As soon as I got home from work, I changed  _________ casual clothes.
                a. to                             b. into                       c. in                             d. for
      20.     The teacher carried  _________ his threat to suspend Tom for his repeated absence from class.
                a. on with                   b. on                         c. out                          d. over

1d
      2b
      3a
      4c
      5a
      6d
      7b
      8c
      9a
      10d
      11b
      12c
      13a
      14d
      15b
      16c
      17a
      18d
      19b
      20c

Exercise 7
      1.       He  _________ all his money, then closed the account.
                a. took out                  b. took away            c. paid in                    d. paid off
      2.       He was convicted of using the firm's money to pay _________ his gambling.
                a. in                            b. off                         c. back                        d. towards
      3.       At the meeting, someone brought _________ the subject of pre-school education.
                a. in                            b. on                         c. up                           d. out
      4.       I take  _________ everything I said about Paul. I realize now that it wasn't true.
                a. on                           b. over                      c. in                             d. back
      5.       Although I'd never made a sandwich before, my first attempt turned  _________ quite well.
                a. over                        b. up                         c. out                          d. into
      6.       It's taking me longer to get _________ the operation than I thought.
                a. through                  b. by                          c. up from                  d. over
      7.       When the princess kissed the frog, it turned _________ a handsome prince.
                a. into                         b. up                         c. out                          d. over
      8.       I really like Joe's dad but I don't get _________ with his mother at all.
                a. out                          b. by                          c. on                           d. through
      9.       You shouldn't stay at home so much. Get  _________ and make new friends.
                a. by                            b. out                        c. over                        d. away
      10.     I always run _________ of money before the end of the month.
                a. out                          b. back                     c. up                           d. down
      11.     It'll take me three years to  _________ up enough money to travel round the country.
                a. pay                         b. take                      c. put                          d. save
      12.     As soon as she came   _________ after the operation, she asked for a drink of water.
                a. across                    b. up                         c. round                     d. under
      13.     Bary has come  _________ some good suggestions for raising the money we need.
                a. onto                        b. up with                 c. round to                 d. across with
      14.     I _________ everything in my bag three times but my keys were nowhere to be found.
                a. went out                b. went over            c. looked for              d. looked at
      15.     Can you remember what to do, or do you want me to go  _________it again?
                a. by                            b. into                       c. past                         d. over
      16.     It was the third time in six months that the bank had been held _________
                a. over                        b. down                    c. up                           d. out
      17.     Having that accident has brought  _________ a complete change in his attitude to other people.
                a. in                            b. about                    c. up                           d. out
      18.     The light from the car _________ as it receded into the distance.
                a. faded away           b. seeped out          c,. rolled away           d. shone out
      19.     It was so foggy that the climbers couldn't _________ out the nearby shelter.
                a. run                          b. take                      c. break                      d. make
      20.     They are thinking of bringing  _________ a law to make cyclists wear helmets.
                a. on                           b. up                         c. in                             d. round

1a
      2b
      3c
      4d
      5c
      6d
      7a
      8c
      9b
      11d
      12c
      13b
      14a
      15d
      16c
      17b
      18a
      19d
      20c

Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:23 am

Name:

Class:
      Basis No 28
      PROBLEMS WITH VERBS
      Mark

Exercise 1
      1.     Al's doctor insists______ for a few days
              a. that he is resting                         b. his resting        c. him to rest  d. that he rest
      2.     I don't like iced tea, and ______
              a. she doesn't too                           b. either doesn't she        c. neither does she                            d. she doesn't neither
      3.     We wish that you_______ such a lot of work, because we know that you would have enjoyed the party.
              a. hadn't had       b. hadn't             c. didn't have had   d. hadn't have
      4.     Since your roommate is visiting her family this weekend, _______ you like to have dinner with us tonight.
              a. will                   b. won't               c. do                     d. wouldn't
      5.     Please______ photocopies of documents.
              a. not to submit    b. do not submit c. no submit         d. not submit
      6.     I __________ bacon and eggs every morning.
              a. am used to eat b. used to eating                             c. am used to eating         d. use to eat
      7.     The team really looks good tonight because the coach had them________ every night this week.
              a. practice            b. practiced        c. to practice        d. the practice
      8.     Would you mind _________ please?
              a. to answer the telephone             b. answering the telephone
              c. answer the telephone                 d. to the telephone answering
      9.     You ________ your seats today if you want to go to the game.
              a. had better to reserve                   b. had to better reserve
              c. had better reserve                                                    d. had to reserve better
      10.   If it___________ so late we could have coffee.
              a. wasn't              b. isn't                c. weren't             d. not be
      11.   Your sister used to visit you quite often________?
              a. didn't she         b. doesn't she    c. wouldn't she    d. hadn't she
      12.   If Bod _______ with us, he would have had a good time.
              a. would come     b. would have come                        c. had come   d. came
      13.   Frankly, I'd rather you________ anything about if for the time being.
              a. do                     b. didn't do         c. don't                 d. didn't
      14.   Since they aren't answering their telephone, they_________
              a. must have left  b. need have left                             c. should have left  d. can have left
      15.   We were hurrying because we thought that the bell_________
              a. had already rang                                                     b. has already rang
              c. had already rung                                                     d. have already ringing
      16.   The breakes need _________
              a. adjusted           b. to adjust         c. to adjustment   d. adjusting
      17.   I wish that we_____ with my brother when he flies to England next week.
              a. could go           b. will go             c. had gone          d. are going
      18.   I am sure Miss Smith_______ use the new equipment.
              a. knows to          b. knows the       c. knows how to   d. knows how
      19.   Mary and John ________  to the parties at the Student Union every Friday.
              a. used to go        b. use to go        c. are used to go  d. were used to go
      20.   You ___________ me, because I didn't say that.
              a. must misunderstand                                                b. must be misunderstanding
              c. must have misunderstood          d. had to misunderstand

1d
      2c
      3a
      4d
      5b
      6c
      7a
      8b
      9c
      10c
      11a
      12c
      13b
      14a
      15c
      16d
      17a
      18c
      19a
      20c

Exercise 2
      1.     I hadn't expected James to apologize but I had hoped_____
              a. him calling me                            b. that he would call me
              c. him to call me                              d. that he call me
      2.     My husband lived at home before we were married, and so______
              a. did I                  b. had I               c. I had                 d. I did
      3.     Does your new secretary _________ shorthand?
              a. know to take    b. know how to take                        c. know how take    d. know how taking
      4.     Tommy had his big brother _________ his shoes for him.
              a. to tie                 b. tie                   c. tied                   d. tying
      5.     I wish that he weather_______ not so warm.
              a. was                  b. be                   c. were                 d. is
      6.     His English teacher recommends that he_______ a regular degree program.
              a. begin                b. begins            c. will begin         d. is beginning
      7.     Let's go out for dinner, _________?
              a. will we              b. don't we          c. shall we           d. are were
      8.     I'd __________ the operation unless it is absolutely necessary.
              a. rather not have                           b. not rather had  c. rather not to have         d. rather not having
      9.     Would you please____________ write on the test books?
              a. don't                 b. not to              c. not                    d. to not
      10.   The old man asked her to move because he__________ in that chair.
              a. used to sit        b. was used to sit                            c. used to sitting     d. was used to sitting
      11.   After the way she treated you, if I _______ in your place, I wouldn't return the call.
              a. be                     b. am                  c. was                   d. were
      12.   If I ________ the flu I would have gone with you.
              a. hadn't               b. hadn't had      c. didn't have       d. wouldn't have had
      13.   He's taken his medicine, _______?
              a. hasn't he          b. didn't he         c. doesn't he        d. isn't he
      14.   Your mother and I are looking forward_______ you.
              a. of seeing          b. for seeing       c. to see               d. to seeing
      15.   It is imperative that you ________ there in person.
              a. be                     b. will be             c. will                   d. are
      16.   _________ you rather sit by the window?
              a. Don't                b. Will                 c. Wouldn't           d. Won't
      17.   His government insisted that he________ until he finished hi degree.
              a. should stay      b. shall stay        c. stayed              d. stay
      18.   After he had researched and ________ his paper, he found some additional material that he should have included.
              a. wrote                b. written            c. writing              d. have written
      19.   The man who was driving the truck would not admit that he had been at fault, and_______
              a. neither the other driver               b. neither would the other driver
              c. neither had the other driver        d. the other driver neither
      20.   If it__________ rain, we'll have the party outside.
              a. wouldn't           b. doesn't           c. didn't                d. won't

1b
      2c
      3a
      4d
      5b
      6c
      7a
      8b
      9c
      10c
      11a
      12c
      13a
      14d
      15a
      16c
      17d
      18b
      19b
      20b

Name:

Class:
      Basis No 29
      PROBLEMS WITH NOUNS
      Mark

Exercise 1
      1.     Please go to _______ to pick up your ID card.
              a. third window    b. the window three                        c. window third       d. the third window
      2.     May I have two ________ instead of beans, please?
              a. corn's ear         b. ear of corns    c. corn ears          d. ears of corn
      3.     If you want to find good information about graduate programs in the United States, look in ________ of the College Blue Books.
              a. volume two      b. volume second                           c. the volume two    d. second volume
      4.     Let's buy our tickets while I still have ________ left.
              a. a few money    b. a little moneys                            c. a few dollars       d. a few dollar
      5.     The assignment for Monday was to read ______ in your textbooks.
              a. chapter tenth   b. the chapter ten                           c. chapter the tenth d. the tenth chapter
      6.     I always put my best __________ in a safe- deposit box.
              a. jewelries          b. jewelry's pieces                          c. chapter the tenth d. the tenth chapter
      7.     It's a shame that you have _______ time in New York on the tour.
              a. so few              b. so little           c. a few                d. a little
      8.     We haven't had ________ news from the disaster site since the earthquake.
              a. many                b. quite a few     c. much                d. some
      9.     John Kennedy was _________ of the United States.
              a. the thirty-five president              b. the thirty fifth president
              c. the president thirty-fifth              d. president the thirty-five
      10.   I'll have a cup of tea and __________
              a. two toasts                                    b. two piece of toasts      
              c. two pieces of toast                                                   d. two pieces of toasts
      11.   The ticket agent said that the plane would be boarding at _________
              a. the gate six      b. sixth gate       c. gate six            d. the six gate
      12.   I will need _______ about the climate before I make a final decision.
              a. a few informations                                                   b. a little informations
              c. a few information                                                     d. a little information
      13.   Sending_______- "Special delivery" costs about fifteen times as much as sending it "regular delivery".
              a. mails                b. a piece of mail                            c. a mail         d. pieces of a mail
      14.   The Chicago bus is parked at __________
              a. the lane two     b. the two lane   c. lane to              d. lane the two
      15.   We don't have ______ tonight
              a. many homeworks                        b. much homeworks         c. many homework                            d. much homework
      16.   __________ ios the world's most abundant fossil fuel.
              a. The coal           b. Coal                c. Coals                d. A coal
      17.   ________ energy in a tornado is enormous.
              a. The                   b. An                   c. A                       d. Some
      18.   The _________ of women earning Master's Degrees has risen sharply in recent years.
              a. sum                  b. amount           c. number             d. addition
      19.   There is __________ rainfall on the Wst Coast of the United States than on the East Coats.
              a. fewer                b. less                 c. little                  d. few
      20.   In 1995______ Hawaii was admitted to the Union as the 50th State.
              a. the                    b. a                     c. an                     d. no article

1d
      2d
      3a
      4c
      5d
      6c
      7b
      8c
      9b
      10c
      11c
      12d
      13c
      14c
      15d
      16b
      17a
      18c
      19b
      20d

Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:24 am

Name:

Class:
      Basis No 30
      PROBLEMS WITH proNOUNS
      Mark

Exercise 1
      1.     Tito was the only foreigner_________ I saw at the convention.
              a. whom               b. which             c. who                  d. what
      2.     They forgot about________ them to join us for lunch.
              a. us to ask          b. us asking       c. our asking        d. we asking
      3.     Our host family always invites my roommate and _______ to their house on Sundays.
              a. me                    b. my                   c. I                        d. mine
      4.     Because they usually receive the same score on standardized examinations, there is often disagreement as to _________ is the better student, Bod or Helen.
              a. who                  b. which             c. whom               d. whose
      5.     I really appreciate____ to help me, but I am sure that I will be able to mange by myself.
              a. you to offer       b. your offering  c. that you offer   d. that you are offering
      6.     Do you know the woman _______ was hurt in the accident?
              a. which               b. whom              c. who                  d. whose
      7.     I would like to leave a message for_______ if I may.
              a. they                  b. them               c. their                  d. theirs
      8.     A few of. Are planning to drive to Florida during spring spring break.
              a. we girls             b. us girls           c. girls we            d. girls
      9.     This is the woman_______ the artist said posed as a model for the painting.
              a. who                  b. whom              c. which               d. whose
      10.   Of those who took the exam with Jane and ______, I am the only one who studied for it.
              a. he                     b. his                  c. him                   d. himself
      11.   Let you and _______ agree to settle our differences without involving any of the other students.
              a. I                        b. myself             c. me                    d. my
      12.   If you had told us earlier_______ he was, we could have introduced him at the meeting.
              a. who                  b. which             c. whom               d. whoever
      13.   I always ask my sister and__________ for advice.
              a. her                    b. she                 c. hers                  d. herself
      14.   Two of the notebooks_________ Tom had lost on the bus were returned to the main desk at his dormitory.
              a. what                 b. who                c. which               d. whose
      15.   He didn't seem to mind _______ TV while he was trying to study.
              a. their watching  b. that they watch                           c. them watching    d. them to watch
      16.   The team has finished________ season.
              a. its                     b. their                c. his                    d. her
      17.   Neither Bod nor his friends received_______ test scores.
              a. his                    b. them's             c. their                  d. their's
      18.   His parents told________ to put his coat on.
              a. he                     b. his                  c. them                 d. him
      19.   Everyone has put_______ equipment back into its proper place. (British English).
              a. his                    b. their                c. its                     d. one's
      20.   Someone has forgotten to put________ name on their term paper. (British English).
              a. his                    b. her                  c. their                  d. one's

1a
      2a
      3d
      4c
      5a
      6d
      7a
      8b
      9c
      10c
      11b
      12c
      13d
      14b
      15c
      16b
      17c
      18a
      19d
      20b

Name:

Class:
      Basis No 31
      PROBLEMS WITH modifiers
      Mark

Exercise 1
      1.     She hasn't seen her family________ three years ago.
              a. since                b. for                   c. from                  d. before
      2.     Just put your coat in________
              a. the hall closet                             b. the closet of the hall   
              c. the hall's closet                                                       d. hall closet
      3.     Bill came to work at the University thirty years__________
              a. strongly            b. so strong        c. from                  d. ago
      4.     This drink tastes a little_______ to me.
              a. strongly            b. so strong        c. strong               d. too much strong
      5.     I like these dishes but___________ is a little too small.
              a. the tea cup       b. the cup of tea c. the tea's cup    d. the cup for the tea
      6.     My sister has a ________ baby.
              a. two- months-old                          b. two-month- olds  c. two-months-olds        d. two-month-old
      7.     The one in the window was_____ expensive that I couldn't afford it.
              a. so                     b. too                  c. too much          d. very
      8.     We used to go skiing in Michigan every winter, but________ for the past five seasons.
              a. I don't go          b. I haven't gone                             c. I'm not going       d. I didn't go
      9.     It is______ day that travel advisories have been issued for most of the major highways.
              a. such snowy     b. so snowy        c. such a snowy   d. such snowy a
      10.   Our reservations are for________
              a. sixth June        b. six June         c. the sixth of June d. the six of June
      11.   They listened______ while the examiner gave them the directions for Part I.
              a. attentive           b. attentively      c. attentiveness   d. attention
      12.   The cookies that you sent over were_________ that I ate them all.
              a. very good         b. too good         c. so good            d. good
      13.   Jacobson's is one of the most expensive_______ in the city.
              a. department store                                                      b. departments stores      
              c. departments store                                                    d. department stores
      14.   I don't understand how John could have made________ in judgment.
              a. such big mistake                         such a big mistake  c. so a big mistake        d. so big mistake
      15.   You can give me a receipt if you want to, but your word is_________ for me.
              a. enough good   b. good as enough                          c. good enough       d. good than enough
      16.   Beriberi had long beena________ disease.
              a. seriously          b. serious           c. commonly         d. community
      17.   God is present under the sea in ________ concentratins that it is difficult to extract it.
              a. very minute      b. quite minute   c. such minute     d. so minute
      18.   Lightning currents ________ to the interior of an airplane.
              a. seldom penetrate                        b. penetrate seldom          c. rare penetrate  d. penetrate in rarity
      19.   This animal extracfts _________ from food to sustain itself.
              a. calories enough                                                      b. calories for enough
              c. enough for calories                                                 d. enough calories
      20.   The machine careated _______that I couldn't sleep.
              a. so a noise        b. so much noise                            c. so noisy     d. so many noises

1a
      2a
      3d
      4c
      5a
      6d
      7a
      8b
      9c
      10c
      11b
      12c
      13d
      14b
      15c
      16b
      17c
      18a
      19d
      20b

Exercise 2
      1.     Sam usually does his work very_____ and well, but today he seemed a little preoccupied.
              a. careful             b. careful manner                           c. carefully    d. care
      2.     Besides being expensive, the food in the cafeteria tastes________
              a. badly                b. too badly        c. too much bad   d. bad
      3.     ____ here since 1976 when her parents moved from New York.
              a. She's lived       b. She's living    c. She was living d. She'd live
      4.     We'll get________ by train if we leave tonight
              a. fast enough there                       b. there fast enough         c. there enough fast                            d. enough fast there
      5.     If the cab arrives_______ you will miss you flight.
              a. lately                b. lateness         c. more later         d. late
      6.     It was________ that we went camping in the mountains last weekend.
              a. such nice weather                      b. so nice a weather         c. too nice weather                            d. nice weather
      7.     The homecoming football game will be played on_________
              a. two September                            b. the second of September
              c. September two                            d. the two of September
      8.     Mary overslept and was ________ late that she missed her bus.
              a. so                     b. too                  c. much                d. very
      9.     Could you please tell me the____ for Biology 457 and Chemistry 610?
              a. rooms numbers                           b. rooms number  c. room's number    d. room numbers
      10.   I think it's ________ to take a few more pictures.
              a. enough light    b. light as enough                          c. light enough       d. enough as light
      11.   Last Sunday was ________ that we took a drive in the country.
              a. so beautiful day                                                       b. such a beautiful a day
              c. such a beautiful weather            d. so beautiful a day
      12.   The conference was organized for all of the________ in the state.
              a. mathematic teachers                  b. mathematics teachers
              c. mathematics teacher                   d. mathematic's teachers
      13.   It is difficult to finda________ in the Washington area for less than [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] a month.
              a. two- bedroom apartment             b. two-bedrooms apartment
              c. two- bedrooms apartments          d. two- bedroom apartments
      14.   I am expecially glad that Bod decided to come to the party because we hadn't seen him_____ several months.
              a. since                b. until                c. before               d. for
      15.   John and I like to watch the games on TV because we can see more______ than we could from a seat in the stadium.
              a. clear                 b. clearness       c. clearly              d. clearer
      16.   The woman appeared _______ after her surgery.
              a. week                b. weakly            c. in a weak way  d. in a weak manner
      17.   The student will have_______ tomorrow morning 18.
              a. a two- hours class                                                   b. a class of two hour
              c. two hours of class                                                   d. a two- hour class
      18. V¾ng

19.   There has been _______ little rain that the grass is yellow.
              a. such                 b. very                c. so                     d. quite
      20.   He spoke for________ that they thought he would never stop.
              a. long time such b. so a long time c. a such long time d. such a long time

1c
      2d
      3a
      4b
      5d
      6a
      7b
      8a
      9d
      10c
      11d
      12b
      13a
      14d
      15c
      16a
      17d
      18*****
      19c
      20d

Name:

Class:
      Basis No 32
      nouns- compound nouns
      Mark

Exercise 1
      1.     A shoe of leather isa__________
              a.  leather shoe   b. Shoe leather  c. shoed leather   d. skinned leather
      2.     This is my________ plantation.
              a. mother-in-law  b. mother-in-law's                           c. mother-in-law's   d. mother's-in-law
      3.     ________ shoes are always of various types.
              a. Woman'            b. Womans'        c. Women's          d. Womens'
      4.     Glasses for holding beer are________
              a. glass-beer        b. beerglasses    c. glasses of beer d. beer's glasses
      5.     A horse which runs races is calleda__________
              a. horse race        b. race-horse      c. racing horse     d. races-horse
      6.     A table used for writing is called__________
              a. table- writing    b. a writing         c. a written table  d. a writing table
      7.     They are__________
              a. woman- professors                                                  b. womans- professors
              c. women professors                                                   d. women's professors
      8.     We have got a lot of_______
              a. book of exercise                         b. exercises-books  c. exercise's book's       d. exercise-books
      9.     They'd like to spend the week-end at ________
              a. their aunt's      b. their aunt       c. their aunt's house        d. their aunt
      10.   The ________ is long.
              a. knife's handle  b. knif's handle  c. knife handle    d. handle of the knife
      11.   Do you hear any voice? It's________
              a. my wife's                                     b. my wife           
              c. my wife's voice                            d. the voice of my wife
      12.   That man has two________
              a. brother-in-law  b. brothers-in-law                           c. brother-ins-law    d. brother-in-laws
      13.   The________ toys are cheap.
              a. child's              b. children's       c. childrens'         d. childrens
      14.   Next month we have two________ holiday.
              a. week                b. weeks             c. weeks'              d. week's
      15.   We must follow________
              a. the will of the dead                                                  b. the dead of will
              c. the dead's will                             d. the dead will
      16.   A meeting held during the night is a__________
              a. meeting night  b. nightly meeting                           c. night- meeting     d. nighty meeting
      17.   It has belonged to our family. It's the__________
              a. families            b. families'          c. family's             d. familys'
      18.   _______ for instance, might find it hard to laugh at a Russian joke.
              a. The French      b. A French        c. A man in France d. If you were French
      19.   As he hated________, he decided to desert.
              a. the life of army b. life in the army                            c. life of the army    d. the army for life
      20.   The latest exhibitions, films or plays are only__________
              a. by bus a short distance sway     b. a short distance by bus away
              c. a short distance away by bus     d. the distance of a short bus away

1a
      2b
      3c
      4b
      5b
      6b
      7c
      8d
      9a
      10d
      11a
      12b